Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Melbourne to Vienna…


The last few days have been too mad for writing – a dizzying rush from joblists to farewells to last minute requests (like that 10 minute presentation I had to prepare for a job interview that will be held just hours after I arrive in London, so had to be researched before I left).

Somehow I got through it.

I survived that last minute dose of “what am I DOING” as I finally realised how awful it is to not see the fabulous Anthony for at least 8 weeks. I survived the worst airline salad ever (a bowl of tinned corn, with spanish onion, 1.5 cherry tomatoes (halved), some feta and vinagrette) and Mr “I love Frankston” (it was written on his tshirt) with the gorgeous mullet and rats tail hair, in the seat next to me. Mark Batty, I thought of you...

And suddenly I’m in Vienna.

Half a world away doesn't feel nearly so far away this time. Maybe it's because I have now done this long-haul thing five times (*shudders at greenhouse implications*), or because Viennese German is much easier to understand than 'German' German. Or maybe because email makes it so easy to stay in touch with people at home.

It also helped that my amazing friend Alex (pictured below, in Melk today) was up at 5am to collect me from the airport. No navigation (or even much German) required. He also has the comfiest couch ever and, apart from having NO sense of direction (his parents offered to come with us on Friday, in case he gets us lost), is a really good tour guide.

1 comment:

jacen said...

"... apart from having NO sense of direction (his parents offered to come with us on Friday, in case he gets us lost), is a really good tour guide."

he really IS lost some times :P
but what he lacks in navigation, he more than make up with his great talking skills :P