Sunday, February 26, 2006

Eine wordt für heute...

I wish I'd thought of this earlier, so I could have truly entered 'a word for today' each day... but here's how my German has improved in Vienna, and some of the long (and therefore impressive) words I have learned here.

Wednesday: Zeit (time). As in 'time until we reach Vienna' on the plane...

Thursday: Kurbis (pumpkin). Alex spent ages trying to describe this enormous green vegetable... he didn't say it was orange on the inside!

Friday: Strassenbahn Haltestelle (tram stop - literally 'street rail stopping place'). If there is a long and complicated way of saying something, the German language will generally find it.

Saturday: Schlagobersgupf (a topping of whipped cream). You see it on a lot of cafe menus, in the 'heisse schokolade' section.

Sunday: Heurigen, Weinstube (pub that sells wine). I didn't really learn this word today, but all the other days had words already by the time the heurigens open at 4pm...

No comments: