Monday, March 23, 2009

Wytham Wood's festival debut


The other big buzz about this weekend was, of course, Wytham Wood's first festival appearance.
It was both amazing and humbling.

I was scared half out of my pants from about midday, stalking the bar area like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for our soundcheck to be called. I hardly tasted lunch and couldn't drink my pint of cider. Then suddenly we were in, the flute was assembled and Jules' guitar miked up, and they were asking us if we wanted to start 5 minutes early. We said yes, altho' with a sinking feeling on my part, 'cos Ants hadn't arrived yet.

But with a reassuring grin from Matt from work, a wave from 'Mistress Trebuchet' (aka Kim) and a wink from Barry-from-the-Half-Moon (also a fellow steward) we were away. We started with Jules' song 'The Dance', which I just love, and modest applause from the half full room. Then they opened the doors to admit latecomers, and in came a bunch of Half-Mooners, whose familiar faces helped to settle my nerves. After all, they've all been here, done this before too.

Next we played 'Crazy Man Michael' of Fairport Convention fame, the crowd really cheered, and in through the doors came Ants, Guy and Sal, and half a dozen mates from work. I felt totally humbled - most of them had only come to see one act, and paid good money for the privilege.

After that, things began to fly: I always love singing 'Dandelion', I got through the tricky flute bits on 'Thanks' without stopping (even when I stumbled over a coupla notes), and we blitzed 'Before sleep comes', 'Unweaving the Dream' and 'Ride on' before finishing with Jules' other signature piece, 'Tintagel', letting rip on vocals and guitar and almost floating off the stage amid what felt like wild applause.

It was an amazing experience. People have said really gorgeous things about our set. A bloke I'd been chatting to in the green room slipped me his card and asked if we'd consider teaming up for some gigs. Sal was still muttering next morning that she can't believe I've 'secretly' owned a flute for 20 yrs, and have finally learned to play it (without telling her).
The sound guy murmured congratulations and said the room hadn't been this packed all weekend.

Jules even sold a couple of CDs. Awesome, awesome times. One bloke said that he likes my voice best of all the female folk singers he's ever heard. A chap from a band that played after us said something about 'as good as Sandy Denny, and a very similar voice', and if I ever wanted a job as a vocalist, please get in touch...

It's all far more praise than I deserve - but I'm going to remember these things for a long time to come.

Best off all - my oh-so-proud husband was waiting to give me a hug at the end - along with every last one of the friends who'd turned out in such force.

Wow.


I hope we can do that again sometime.

No comments: