Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance day

This is Italy, so Remembrance day, or Armistice Day to the Brits, doesn't rate much of a mention here. But the war cemetary is in Testaccio, just a few hundred metres from our home and near the foot of the big pile of claypots, so Ants wandered along for the service. It's a peaceful place and I think it does what its meant to with great panache.

On the way there he nearly got bowled over by Amanda Vanstone, who was bustling along in her capacity of Ambassador to Italy. He enjoyed the service anyway - thereƬs something familiar and comforting about the military precision of this marking of our countries' coming of age.

For myself, I had a calmer remembrance day than I have in years, and stopped briefly at 11 to mark the moment. Some wise words from my friend Helen from Oxford have stayed with me ever since Florence. Bella, if you're reading this, they are still helping! xo

No comments: