Monday, October 19, 2009

Our new favourite spot in Rome

Ever since Ants declared at Pompeii that he was 'a bit over Roman stuff', I've been trying to hide my disappointment that we wouldn't be able to share the Colusseum. So even Ants was amazed when our trip to the Colusseum left him genuinely in awe.

For my part, I was spellbound. Inside, the Colusseum resembles nothing so much as a very old sports stadium - which is what it is, now that you mention it - and it's amazing to see just how little such things have changed in 2000 years.
No film or book has brought the arena to life so vividly as standing in its empty shell, imagining women in flowing drapes and men in togas streaming in or out, seeing the bones of animals that fought on the sand - and the remains of smaller beasts they fed them with. As autumn light turned to sunset, I was tingling to the tips of my toes with excitement. This is my favourite Roman bit ever.

No comments: