Friday, October 09, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, the Italian summer shall officially end at 2pm on Monday

After 4 weeks of 35-40oC every day, even this robust little Aussie was ready for a break in the weather. Des the Irishman in the office, sweltering in his shirtsleeves, said he didn't dare complain, because he couldn't conceive of a place where, once the rain starts, itìll stop any time before next summer.

But the seasons here are pretty defined - I didn't believe my colleague Cristina when she said 'the last Monday in August. You watch. It will change.' But quite literally, that morning dawned fine and clear and 25oC - and there the temperature stayed for the next four weeks.

My credulity was tested again when she predicted the next change, for the start of October. I especially didn't believe her when it was 25oC by 8am when I arrived at the office last Monday.

I believed her at 4pm when I went outside to get a coffee. It was blowing a gale, bucketing rain and... 15oC!! And there it has remained, all week.


But I like it - seasons you can set your watch by. I'll even welcome the month of rain that comes in December - as long as it leaves by January, right on schedule.




No comments: