Monday, February 16, 2009

Birthday bliss

I love my birthday, but I don't have a great track record of sharing it with people. In fact, the last time I tried holding a 'do' was my 30th, and several people forgot to show up (more fool them - it was a scorching summer's day, we went to Luna Park, and I brought party pies and fairy bread and we went on the rides and finished up at the Espy, drinking wine on the front balcony, watching the sun set over Port Phillip Bay. Hurrah!).

Birthdays in England are a bit weird because they happen in winter here, but I figured 35 was
worth some song and dance, so I made some plans this year.

And we had a lovely day - a very low key, eaty-drinky 'do just what you please' afternoon at one of my favourite free houses, run by mine excellent host Ollie the Irishman. There was rugby on the telly (which suited Ants), Aunt Sally in the backyard (It's a game - a uniquely Oxford thing - don't ask me to explain...) and several large chickens, live music and a spot of trivial pursuit - just the kind of celebration I had wanted. There was much nattering among friends, good food and drink, and nobody forgot to turn up. It did start me thinking though, just how much my world has changed since that party at 30. Mikko was still alive (he didn't show because he was working, but at least he didn't forget!), Ants wasn't even a distant blip on my horizon, and I was desperately looking forward to finishing my masters and saving up for my 'strictly 12 months' adventure in the UK. I had never sung solo in a pub, never re-enacted in a real castle and wished I could work out how to use emission factors for calculating greenhouse gases.
Back then, I knew not a soul among the 20 people who turned out in force yesterday. They're no substitute for the family and friends with whom I've shared so much history at home (and who were also out in droves sending birthday wishes by phone and facebook, email and text). But I felt rather privileged and well loved, and as I curled up with Anthony's arm around my shoulders last night, my last thought was that it had been a very happy birthday indeed.

1 comment:

Special K said...

I'm glad you had a great birthday, I was curious. :)
I do wish I could have returned your birthday visit favour and drank a nice beer with you in your town, but maybe another year.

Happy Birthday Georg-eous! ;)