Sunday, November 23, 2008

My gallant soldier

The final re-enactment event of the season is the Company of Chivalry's banquet. This year was extra special because it also marked the club's 20th anniversary. There was a special award for Gary, who founded the group and has, until last night, headed up the company as well. He's now handed over to Malcolm, formerly our victualler, but not before securing new gigs for next year: it seems that CADW (Welsh Heritage) are very pleased with the job we do. Yay! That means more trips to Caerphilly and her seige engines next year.Best of all from our point of view, though, was that Anthony not only made 'Yeoman' (the next level up after 'Villein', the lowest rank)...he was also voted 'soldier of the year'. Judging by the cheers he was a popular choice: it seems my man has earned a lot of respect in the group for being not just a huge presence on the field, but also for his commitment to helping out around the club.I am so proud of him.

I'm also pleased because part of his prize was a 1.5 litre bottle of champagne - and he HATES champagne!. (So I might get SOME return for all those costumes I was up late sewing by hand!). He also has custody for one year of the club's 'relic', an original 14th century badge of office.

I'd best get sewing then... and keep practicing at swinging a bill and playing my new psaltery (lap harp). Thanks Hannah!

No comments: