Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Water Babies!

The Water Babies was the first film I ever saw at the cinema. I was five - or maybe even still 4. I remember being enthralled by the way Tom and Ellie changed from children to cartoon children and back to people again, and for years after, half-forgotten choruses echoed randomly in my mind.

I searched video libraries all over Melbourne, I asked friends, I trawled the internet in its early years, and I could find no trace of a movie called the Water Babies - anywhere.

Then my singing chum Sophie asked me to make her a medieval dress and in the course of a bunch of fittings confided that one of her favourite movies, as a kid, was... the Water Babies!

A few weeks later, in the gym, she handed me a 'thankyou' present - apparently, it wasn't easy to track down, but the internet is a wonderful thing.
I can't wait to watch it.



No comments: