Thursday, October 25, 2007

Job perks that make you smile

Some of you will know already that I have a kind-of new job – same gorgeous people (!) but working to reduce carbon emissions from big public sector bodies, like government departments and the whole of Her Majesty's Prison Service. It’s so lovely to have a job that offers a mind stretch again.

One of the perks of the job is a company laptop, which is great for getting stuff done on the train between Oxford and London – I head down on average once a week. We've got this funky wireless internet connection thing happening, which picks up random networks as the train passes. You’ve gotta laugh at the things people call the networks… today my browser found one called “Big Floppy Donkey D!ck”. It’s an unsecured network, which means anyone can get a piece of it… if you dare...

‘Nother upside is the company sponsored travel. I’m sure I’ll tire of it in time – I’d hate to commute daily - but I’ve had some cracking nights out after work, catching up with friends who live in the big smoke. Today’s bonus came in the form of meetings at
Elephant and Castle (yes this IS really a London suburb… see pic below!) then Denmark Hill, the latter needing a train from London Bridge.

Copyright Bert Hardy

Walking from one to the other takes about 15 minutes and really demands a deviation past the Borough Market, which for my money is London’s best foodie spot bar none. It's officially London's oldest food market, said to have been established by the romans. It's occupied its present spot, tucked in next to Southwark cathedral and not far from the Thames, for a measly 250 years.

But such food! Think French cheeses, polish sausage, tapas ingredients, seasonal game meats, sweets, ciders, organic veg and a wicked selection of baked goods. My first ever Chelsea Bun came from Borough Market – I’m yet to taste better.

They were out of Chelsea buns today, so I had to settle for some duck legs, venison sausages and poussin stuffed with chestnuts.

Yum....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like an awesome food market - Yum is right :)

It's cool to hear about this too, because I'd heard nothing but bad things about food in England, and it was one of the things I really wasn't looking forward to about travelling there :P