Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The world according to Tolkein

I watched the first Lord of the Rings movie (again!) on the idiot box on Sunday. I don't do much TV, so this was significant.

My life experience of Tolkien's series now looks like this:
-Swordfighting with my chums outside cinemas all over Melbourne in return for free tickets to the movies on their opening days.
- Touring through southern NZ with the lovely Anthony past the 'plains of Rohan', Milford Sound and several of the rivers used in the film. My nearly-brother-in-law Scott was actually in the films as an extra - he has pix of himself dressed as an Orc, an Elf and a rider of Rohan.
- Copious ciders in the Eagle and Child, the pub where Tolkien, CS Lewis and other literary legends used to skive off work on Tuesday to work on their childrens stories.
- Still haven't finished reading the book. D'oh.

No comments: