Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Taking tea...

One of the best things about being in London has been catching up with friends I haven't seen in ages (because they've been over here, or, in my friend Em's case, in South America).

Obviously, there has been much red wine and reminiscing with the fabulous Sarah Johnson, who still lets me call her couch home. My cousin Sam and I have enjoyed some stellar pub sessions (one included a 6 nations match and a pie with sauce!) And Yvonne, Brendan and I found a most excellent pub in Wandsworth that has local takeaway menus instead of a kitchen - hows that for variety!

But tea at the Ritz with Em, for her 30th birthday, erm, takes the cake!

Apparently, one doesn't 'have' tea, one 'takes' tea. And apparently one is supposed to book 6 weeks in advance, but Em managed to find a morning that had a table for two available just after her big day (which she spent in Paris, a surprise engineered by her partner Simon. How lovely!).

So, suitably attired, we handed our coats in at the cloak room at 11am sharp, and settled in to the exquisite Palm Court, with a sumptuous tiered silver tray of sandwiches, scones, fruit cake and petit fours. And tea - in about 15 different varieties, of which we sampled 3. Thus I learned that moroccan mint is nicer than peppermint, and elderflower is, well, just fabulous, especially when sweetened with a little honey.

I don't know how hobbits do it - breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses... I didn't eat again 'til suppertime (which in Dublin, is a pint...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I say...poshing it up bigtime...have to knuckle our foreheads to you if you keep snobbing it up.... roflmao