Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A sumptious Sacher moment...

I almost forgot to mention - I DID make it back to Hotel Sacher on Saturday, and the cafe was open.

The gods of Happy Memories Past must have been smiling my way because, after initially being directed towards a back room of the cafe, the Maitre'D suddenly changed her mind and gently steered me to a table in the huge bay window at the front (see pix in previous entry), not six feet from where Mikko and I sat four years ago.

I was so pleased, I decided to stay for lunch.

Truffled ham is apparently a Sacher delicacy - it comes on an open sandwich with cream cheese and asparagus. It's an excellent match with a glass of Veuve Cliquot. I drank a toast to days gone by and felt... peaceful. Coming back to Vienna alone was always going to be necessary, and it's been much easier than I expected, to simply recall the beautiful soul whose dreams, values and ideals live on in me and others long after he has left the world. I've wandered these familiar streets with a smile, instead of tears. I don't know if this state of grace can be sustained, but I know now what is possible, and it's tremendously comforting.

With impeccably timed service, my Sacher torte appeared just as my reverie ended. Invented by an Imperial apprentice in about 1822, Sacher torte is a moist chocolate cake covered in apricot jam and a rich icing of dark chocolate, with unsweetened whipped cream. Bliss. And I managed to conduct the entire adventure in German. Double bliss.

I resisted the temptation to take photos of my cake - although the two blokes on the table next to mine had no such scruples. Still smiling, I found it didn't seem as cold when I ventured back outside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Dearest miss Georg
Your words moved me to tears!
Oh, my mouth also watered at the thought of that cake!
Love
KT