Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jamie's Italian?

Not really - anyone who's ever eaten in Lygon Street Melbourne wouldn't dare put this trash on their table, even at 5 bucks a head.

Don't get me wrong. I have loads of respect for Jamie Oliver's crusades to convince English people to eat decent food. Far too many Brits eat rubbish, left over from an era of wartime cookery and dodgy joints of unethically farmed once-was-cow.

I'm sorry, the more I rethink this post, the more I realise I really have learned the art of the English Moan. But the food really was rubbish, especially given the "so-called 'affordable' but marked up because I'm a celebrity chef" prices (around £30, or $75, per head).

Foodies and wine buffs, I dare you to read on...

So, I started with a glass of prosecco (sparkling wine), which was served flat. And warm. And the waiter couldn't see anything wrong with that. When we finally got his attention after nearly 10 minutes....

Of our table of 9 people, three of us sent back mains for being 'too salty to eat'. The Jamie's Italian website says I should have paid £9.25 for my beef carpaccio salad - but his restaurant charged me £10.75 plus service. And my massive plate of rocket and sawdust parmesan didn't even have any 'carpaccio' on it - granted, the meat on my plate was very tender, but it was bright 'cured' red, and looked much more like bresaiola (which is cured for 2 months, not served raw in lemon juice), and not unlike the stuff you get presliced in packets at Sainsbury's.

Shame, really.

Glad my boss was paying: I'd have asked for my money back, if it was going on my own credit card...

No comments: