Monday, May 12, 2008

Homeward bound...

There have been times in the past year where home has felt a million miles away and I just wanted to be there. There have been other days where Melbourne was the last place on my mind.

For seven weeks now I've been counting the days 'til I flew back to Aus, and now that I'm here I just know that my time - 8 short days - is going to pass all too quickly.

My mum, ever the trooper that she is, soldiered out to the airport to collect me, bleary eyed but buzzing, taking me to meet Susan, who my brother Jus will marry in just over a week's time. Their daughter, who they've already named Chloe, is due to be born in September. Jus and Sue both carry 'stuff' that could affect Chloe's genes and development, but so far, early scans haven't shown any problems. Keep your fingers crossed for us all, because one way or another this could be a complicated old road for our turbulent family.

On the way home we stopped to pick up supplies for this morning's brunch with Rich and Trine and their gorgeous wee boys, Lachie and Gus. Gus and I hadn't even met yet, and this was our one big chance, as Clan Wilkins was on their way to Queensland for a well earned holiday this morning. I still can't believe they made time for me and my humble homecooked corn fritters and classic chatter.

More grounded parents one could never wish to meet: nor truer friends. There have been days where just being around these two and their little family has helped me to feel as though I could find peace even in a world gone mad. When I'm away, Rich (who I've known since I was ten) is in the habit of sending 'proud dad' emails in which he explains how his three year old bullies him mercilessly and extracts great deals, like going for a sleep in mum and dad's bed, or describing how broccoli is 'not perfect for me' (which seems to somehow still lead to cookies. I'm not sure how that works... it didn't when I was little!). I don't know any other family that is more full of love.

Once they'd winged their way out of Tullamarine, Mum and I both needed a nana-nap ahead of a packed afternoon. The call that my other brother Luke's spinal fusion surgery was about to start came some hours before we expected: we'd hoped to get in to see him and wish 'good luck' in the early afternoon. But by dinner time he was done and dusted and back in his ward:, drowsy, but o-so pleased to see us. My 'baby' bro (said with some irony, cos he's almost 30, and 6 foot 3) has been a trooper, living and studying for his PhD in Japan, battling chronic pain for two years before his condition brought him home, still undiagnosed and terrified that this is as good as it gets. It's not fair that such mighty intellect should be subdued by such a wracked and wretched body, when as a teen he was so athletic and bursting with ability. We have all our fingers and toes crossed that this surgery will bring relief, and enable him to walk comfortably and return to work and study.

I'm writing all these things as in a daze... jetlag is biting hard, but to be back in the presence of family brings a second wind in every smile and hug. Even in the chill before winter, the light is brighter here, the roads wider, the trees taller, the sky more blue, because Melbourne has one thing that all the world can't hold a candle to: my family, and home.

No comments: