Monday, July 09, 2007

My first (outdoor) festival - Cornbury!

After the wettest June on record, it stopped raining for the weekend (although only for the weekend!), so that I could go to my first outdoor music festival! (Okay, maybe not just for me.)

Cornbury is kind of a sister event to the Oxford Folk festival, held in the grounds of Cornbury Park mansion, about 15 miles from Oxford. I went with one of the girls from work – a Dublin lass named Ciara, no less – and friends of hers, so I wasn’t hanging around entirely without mates, although I arrived at least 3 Pimms before they did.

Ciara turned up sporting the brightest wellies (sorry – gumboots!) and smallest skirt combo I’ve ever seen, expecting ‘sunny day but wet ground’, only to find that the main stages were all on a hill, which had drained beautifully overnight so we could even sit on the grass. Miss Dublin proved remarkably adept at moving from sitting to standing with her dignity intact – although she did confess, having downed a few pints that ‘I did put on absolutely huge pants this morning, just in case'.

Pants, for the uninitiated, are NEVER trousers in England, as most Aussies find out to their detriment...

Smalls and practicalities aside, what a day! The music was all fantastic. Big names included The Waterboys, the Proclaimers, Hothouse Flowers and David Gray, plus some new people I'd never heard of before and DEFINITELY have to buy albums from! Yet another Dublin lass, this one named Imelda May, just blew my sox off with funky ska-inspired jazz blues. Plenty of Pimms & Lemonade (which is THE summer drink of choice over here!), ciders – very reasonable at 3 quid a pint – sunburn, and a good boogie had by all.

Anthony missed the fun, but don’t feel too sorry for him – he was away in Wales, having scored a re-enactment job with Nick, his boss at work, at Beaumaris castle. It's on the Isle of Anglesey, which is somewhere I have been DYING to go for ages... check this out!!!
I'm a bit jealous - must make him take me back there!!
PS Yes, that IS Anthony wielding a pike. Doesn't he look tall?!

No comments: