Sunday, March 04, 2007

A sword in the hand...

I don’t know why it took me nearly a year to start tracking down re-enactor groups in and around Oxford, but once I started, they proved startlingly easy to find. It turned out that Hwitmearum, the local branch of self-confessed authenti-enthusiasts Regia Anglorum, just so happened to be running a joint training last Sunday with local Oxford Uni group Wychwood Warriors. With great enthusiasm I hopped on my spanking new pushbike to go check out the fun.

The directions I had were very clear, and the ring of metal on metal gave their position away quite quickly. And the people were lovely and welcoming and quickly agreed that I could fight at the same standard as they could, and I was most welcome to join in. Being an Oxford Uni club, Wychwood sports extensive training kit (gloves and shields, even spare swords!) which I was able to borrow. And remembering to fight without headshots was made easier by the fact that most people (including me) weren't wearing helmets.


So we ran around in solid, soaking rain for two whole hours (actually, most of them had been there for a lot longer), turning a large part of the playing field to mud, before retiring, sodden and starting to rust, to the pub, to scoff crisps by the bag and swap stories about Great Shows We Have Done... with Hastings high on the list for all concerned!

I can’t wait to go again. But I do hope it isn’t pissing with rain next time…

No comments: