Saturday, August 12, 2006

Heathrow to Helsinki....

Yes, despite flight chaos at Heathrow on Saturday morning (caused by my first UK terrorist alert), I have boarded a plane to Helsinki for five days, and arrived with both my person, and my luggage, intact. (Rest assured, mother dear, that the Finns are not high on the priority list of terrorists, and I am flying with Finnair).

As we stood patiently in our even-longer-than-usual queues, there were lots of jokes about the terrorists all laughing at us, carrying our little clear plastic bags with wallet, passport, keys, my glasses (without their case). I had to throw away a lip salve because it wasn't prescription medicine. I had already packed my pens and papers away, just as well as they're banned too. So no last minute cramming to dust off my rusty finnish. Am managing okay so far, although my accent has gone to shite... must see if I can remedy that. English is widely spoken, however much I hate relying on it.

Helsinki in summer is beautiful - when I've come here before (in winter both times) we've emerged through thick grey clouds to a vision of thick fog and blankets of snow, only the slate grey roads and occasional green-black forests breaking up the otherwise featureless landscape.
Today we descended through fluffy white pillows in brilliant sunshine above a land of green trees, slaty blue lakes and fields full of golden yellow crops ready for harvest.

The first thing I notice as I make my way to my hostel (
the fabulously homelike and now very familiar Erottajanpuisto on Uudenmankatu) is that everything in Helsinki feels much closer than it used to. Then it dawns on me - I'm not picking my way from cobbles to kerb, afraid of slipping on ice, dodging crowds of likeminded other careful folk, and being buffeted by zillion-knot winds.

The next thing is that everywhere is so green. Far too nice to be inside, so as soon as I dumped my bags and changed into shorts, out I went again.

First stop was the town market square, or kauppatori, and a reindeer kebab for lunch. The outdoor market here is fantastic too - another first for me and Helsinki. I've already spent too much money, but this is Helsinki, after all, and it's nearly 4 years since I was here last. Amazingly, very little has changed - other than the seasons. The people here are a soulful as ever too, but more about that in a little while....




No comments: